Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Insecurity of Social Security

I must begin this post with a confession: I was among the vein of people who thought (some still think) that Social Security was on its way out the door. I foresaw only a disastrous downfall for the program within the next 20-25 years, with a complete stoppage of all benefits. It came as a great relief to find out that, even assuming the Social Security trust fund is completely depleted by 2036 as predicted by the 2011 trustee's report, the program would not cease its distribution of benefits altogether; it would not be able to pay full benefits at the same rate it is now, but it would still function nonetheless due to the fact that it could still draw from its income-tax revenue. Relief, therefore, was my first reaction to Kathy Ruffing's report.

Having said that, after reviewing the information Ruffing provides, I do still have some doubts about the total security of Social Security. Because the demographic of both workers and beneficiaries is constantly shifting, it is impossible to ground Social Security in income-tax revenue alone. Something much more stable must be in place to ensure its foothold, thus the reason there is a trust fund in existence in the first place. The depletion of that trust fund would mean no cushion to fall back on and with no stabilizing mechanism in place, Social Security's effectiveness from year to year would surely falter. So...will benefits stop? No. Will benefits be surrounded by uncertainty and will their amounts fluctuate greatly? Most likely.

It is the changing demographic that most frustrates me. For the most part it seems to me that Social Security has not adapted quickly or efficiently enough to the rapid increase in the average death age and the influx in the working population. Longer life spans mean more individuals simultaneously receiving benefits, which in turn means more payouts for the program. A greater working population would theoretically counter this issue, but flaws in the program, such as the three-year gap between cost-of-living adjustments, have created what I see as an avoidable deficit. If it is not avoidable, it is at least possible to keep it to a minimum.

I also raise my eyebrows at the great increase in people who "qualify" for disability benefits. Although I understand Ruffing's justification, I just don't think that the number of disability qualifiers should have DOUBLED in the last 16 years. You see this a lot: people who needed benefits at one time, but then become comfortable with the convenience the system provides and continue taking advantage of it even after they no longer need assistance. As a part of Social Security reform, I think the means used to evaluate people's continuing eligibility for disability benefits should be examined and modified.

As usual, I don't pretend to know a lot about what I write about on this blog. But writing is intended to stimulate conversation, just as reading is intended to stimulate thought. Ruffing's report definitely got me thinking. Hopefully, this post will get you talking. I welcome your responses.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of things that you said...how surprising that that happens all the time? :)

    I do think some people do qualify for disability who don't deserve it but to me, other people who deserve it don't get it. As I said in my post, it took my dad, who has a severe case of heart disease, six months for them to give him his social security benefits.

    But overall we have the same basic ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep Social Security, or gradually abolish it over a long time like 100 years. You should get what you are currently paying for in taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the primary flaws of social security is how the perception of its purpose has changed since its inception. Social security (especially post-retirment of a person) was instituted to supplement ones income and savings upon retirement, not to be the SOLE source of income. People are supposed to obtain lifetime savings on their own. Now of course, accidents happen and bad things happen to good people. Whether this is bad luck, poor financial planning or poor investment, the bottom line is bad things happen. People shouldn't expect social security to be their sole source of income upon retirement, it should merely supplement what they expect to have.

    ReplyDelete